For this recipe I’m using foraged quahogs, you can use any type of a large hardshell clam.
- First, wash and scrub the shells. Then soak the clams, submerged with a pinch of flour in cold water for 20-30 minutes. *Do not disturb them, you want the clams to relax and start filtering.
- Steam the clams, until they’re open, then remove and chop up the meat.
- Mix clams with finely diced hakurei turnips (or carrots/daikon/cabbage), onion, shredded stale bread, chili flakes, mayo, Dijon, egg whites or eggs, salt and black pepper. You don’t need to measure, just try to get a nice ratio of clams to bread and vegetables. Then, the mayo and eggs help to bind everything so just keep adding until it’s nice and mushy. Let sit for 10+ minutes to incorporate.
- Halve and rinse some of the nicest shells. Use a tablespoon and stuff them with the filling. Top with a slice of unsalted butter, broil/grill until crispy on top, about 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with scallion rings. Serve hot and lemon.