Poached chicken has been feeding families forever. It’s a simple, one pot meal that’s super healthy, balanced and easy to make, and yes, it’s gluten free. This is a great meal to make if you’re trying to eat local. Fork-tender chicken, vegetables, and broth! Best served as noodle soup or with rice and ginger scallion oil.
- Heat a large pot of water with ginger, shallot, and salt.
- When it’s at a rolling boil, lower the heat, add the chicken, simmer for ~1 hour, partially covered.
- Add carrots, chicken organs, and simmer another ~30 min.
- Remove the carrots and chicken, bring to a boil and cook the mustard greens.
- Carve chicken + slice the carrots. Serve with rice & ginger scallion oil.
Ingredients: -1 thumb ginger (washed, halved and smashed) -1 shallot (peeled, ends cleaned) -1 whole chicken (washed, cleaned inside) -1 lb carrots (scrubbed, washed, topped) -1 or 2 bunches leafy greens (mustard, watercress, kale) -salt
Ginger Scallion Oil. An essential Cantonese sauce, used in home cooking and restaurants alike. Eat it with meat, in a stir fry, on noodles, on rice, in soup. There’s never enough. Clean and chop scallions. Clean, peel (if desired) and grate ginger. Combine in a 1:1 ratio in a glass jar, add some salt. Heat … Continue reading “Ginger Scallion Oil”