Despite common perception, not all oil is bad for you. In fact, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is super healthy and we all should be eating more of it. I love making pasta with an EVOO garlic sauce, it’s pretty simple and easy. Here’s my guide to making delicious seafood pasta in 5 steps:
- Saute garlic on low in a large saucepan with EVOO, salt and pepper.
- When the garlic is translucent, crank up the heat to medium high, add mussels and cover till cooked (shells opened), about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, boil water and cook spaghetti.
- Combine pasta and sauce and mix well.
- Serve hot, with fresh lemon slices, black pepper, red pepper flakes and grated cheese.
Ingredients (in order of use): -1 head of garlic, minced or smashed ~3/4 cup EVOO -salt & pepper, to taste -2 lbs live mussels, scrubbed clean -1 lb spaghetti/linguine/capellini, cooked -1 lemon, sliced in wedges -grated parmesan cheese -red pepper flakes
Other suggestions: Use shrimp, calamari, or clams in addition/instead of mussels, they cook at similar speed so you can put it all in the pot together. Serve with sauteed greens such as bok choy, kale, chard, or spinach.